[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Rich Morris' Comics - YAFGC and The ComixBlog • View topic - Game of Thrones

Rich Morris' Comics - YAFGC and The ComixBlog

Discussion forum for fans of YAFGC and Rich's ComixBlog. Because all the cool webcomics have one.

Jump to YAFGC / Jump to The ComixBlog

It is currently Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:54 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

[ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Game of Thrones
PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 6:47 am 
Enforcer
Enforcer

Anybody watches it? And feels up for a civilized conversation?

Post subject: Re: Game of Thrones
PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 9:27 am 
Beholder
Beholder

I do but not as broadcast. I look after next door's cat when they're away and they buy the boxed sets. So I've just finished Series 4. So, if people are shoving in lots of spoilers, I'll need to keep away.

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 12:20 pm 
Enforcer
Enforcer

I see! I read the first book, did not like it despite the many merits, started the series, which was too gritty for me to enjoy, but nowadays I find myself addicted to the latest installment. What did you think of it?

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 5:37 pm 
Beholder
Beholder

I've not read any of the books. I'm a slow reader and am a member of two book clubs. It's a struggle to get things finished for them let alone read a series of that many books which are each that thick. I feel that an author ought to be able to say what they need to say in less space than that.

I don't have a problem with gritty. In fact I quite like it. I watched the first three series in less than a week when my neighbours were away over Christmas. I found that quite compulsive viewing. I watched the fourth between last Saturday and Monday. It was a public holiday here.

I don't have the same issues with the body count that some people do. If the Night's Watch and the Wildlings have a big fight, then we're going to lose some characters we like. However, I did find the fight between Brienne and the Hound a bit unnecessary. Apparently, things are different in the books.

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 8:55 pm 
Enforcer
Enforcer

Deaths are not a problem for me -Martin's sadistic enjoyment of the deaths is though. You can feel the author cackling after every death, playing a prank of the reader instead of telling the story he needs to tell.
Gritty I understand better, though a world were everyone is either evil or stupid is not exactly realistic.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 4:26 pm 
Lich
Lich

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 8:10 pm 
Enforcer
Enforcer

Martin is actually using Muslim Spain, the Middle East, the Mediterannean etc for inspiration -and not as exotic flavors, as full fledged cililizations.
I also have to hand him that he creates full and deep female characters. No maidens, mothers and crones for him.
I do not like his writings, but I am quite surprised at his politics.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 10:10 pm 
Lich
Lich

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 1:02 pm 
Enforcer
Enforcer

I used the word "politics" badly. What I meant is that he took some care not to be racist or sexist. The show slips, but the books eschew stereotypes. I think he was asked how does he write so believable women, and he answered that he just writes them as people. Same thing with other cultures, I am guessing.

Also, the dialogue is very clever, the plot twists are great, and he does create characters you care about, till you learn not to. Show does the same thing so far.

Not that I do not get your resentment. There have been times, especially when we lost a character we loved, when I wondered "why are we watching this, again?"

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 12:13 am 
Lich
Lich

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 8:25 am 
Enforcer
Enforcer

This would be a scenario worthy of a World of Darkness game!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 7:09 pm 
Lich
Lich

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 10:09 pm 
Lich
Lich

King Stannis ... you bastard. :devily:

It doesn't even make sense, honestly, WTF?

I'm done with this.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 5:07 am 
Enforcer
Enforcer

I do not read the books but... i honestly wish they will come out soon. Their absence shows -though the Stannis plotline felt quite Martin.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 12:08 pm 
Demigod
Demigod

I can look around and see if I can find one or two for you if you want.

Then you are a bot and must be banned.

[ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next