[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Rich Morris' Comics - YAFGC and The ComixBlog • View topic - Server stats roundup - Holy CRAP.

Rich Morris' Comics - YAFGC and The ComixBlog

Discussion forum for fans of YAFGC and Rich's ComixBlog. Because all the cool webcomics have one.

Jump to YAFGC / Jump to The ComixBlog

It is currently Sun Oct 24, 2021 12:49 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

[ 14 posts ] 
 Post subject: Server stats roundup - Holy CRAP.
PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:15 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Holy hell!

This may be of absolutely no interest to anyone but me, but I'm finding it fascinating. Just did some number crunching on our server stats from the month before and the weeks since the site changes, and it's kind of dumbfounding.

Our main account has a couple of domains on it - my portfolio, the web resources for a stargate play by email game we run with some friends (http://stargate-skywatch.com), Rich's old portfolio, the ComixBlog, and formerly YAFGC and these forums as well. The new account has only YAFGC and the forums. The non-comics sites get maybe a total of 200 - 300 hits all together in one day, so negligible impact reqpective to the other sites.

Prior to the split, our CPU seconds were something like 20,000/day for the totality of the account, and using over 60% of the shared machine we were on, which contributed to some of those massive server fails and even being taken offline twice due to excess use of shared resources. Bandwidth use was something like 195 gigs/month, very roughly.

Now what are we at, three weeks since the new site/moving YAFGC off of iStrip onto ComicCMS?

Yafgc.net + forums: 1613.04 CPU seconds per day / 6.721% of the resources of our current shared machine / 590.6 GIGS bandwidth per month.

Main account (shipsinker, comicsblog, portfolios, Skywatch site): 12136.28 CPU seconds per day / 44.3% of the resources of our current shared machine / 140 gigs bandwidth per month.

Broken down (very, very roughly) by daily requests, just for the hell of it, that's 0.00397 CPU seconds per request on YAFGC and 0.10556 CPU seconds per request for the ComicsBlog. The ComicsBlog is using (very approximately) 26 TIMES the server resources as YAFGC to fulfill a single request.

Holy fucknails, Batman! I've always said that WordPress is a heinously bloated behemoth, and now I know that I'm right.

So. Anyone want to figure out how we can convert all of our data from ComicPress to ComicCMS, so I can ditch Wordpress from the sites altogether?

Profile WWW  

Post subject: Re: Server stats roundup - Holy CRAP.
PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:28 pm 
Lich
Lich

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:48 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Comics and comments linked to them. I don't mind losing categories and comments linked to pages, but it would be a shame to lose the strip conversations. The trouble I'm finding is that ComicCMS doesn't really have a good comments plugin, which wasn't an issue for YAFGC but would be for the ComicsBlog.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 4:03 am 
Lich
Lich

If you don't have a comments plugin, one option would be to generate static, read-only pages.

Hmm... I recall that WordPress/ComicPress stored that sort of information in two files (one for the comic, one for the comments) with the date as a base. We are talking about the Legacy version and not version 3.0+, right?

Looking over the code for ComicCMS, they store the comic itself in one directory, and all the meta data in a master database. Thus, we'll need to batch load things.

Would it be possible to get emailed an example day from your ComicPress archive? I can install ComicCMS and try writing an importer for it...

-bun

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 6:38 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Sure! That'd be awesome! Where does Wordpress store those files? (and I'm on 2.9.1, iirc)

I'd still have to figure out how to add commenting ability to new strips, mind you, since the community that's built up around the ComicsBlog is very dependent on that interaction method... there used to be a comments plugin for the old version of ComicCMS; I should find out what's up with that with the latest release.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 1:46 pm 
Lich
Lich

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 2:18 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ooh, now this is interesting...

http://www.intensedebate.com/faq#li5

Have you used IntenseDebate before? I don't think I've ever noticed it on other sites, but it says it has an automatic import function from WordPress. Checking in with Steve, who does ComicCMS, he's currently suggesting that folks use external plugins like this one.

Thoughts?

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 4:21 pm 
Lich
Lich

I agree that IntenseDebate looks interesting, but I have never used it.

I would point out that you may want to consider separate systems for YAFGC and ComicBlog. YAFGC might be able to get by with a less fancy system, which would consume less resources.

Additionally, I wonder about the following (not clear from the FAQ):
* Is there fee? If not, I doubt it will stay that way given the polish of the website.
* Where and in what format is the data stored (in case we have to convert)? In particular, what is stored locally, and what is stored on their server?
* How are the user (debater) accounts handled, and can they be transparently integrated with your existing login system?
* How difficult will it be to match their templates to your current site themes.
- Bun

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 4:26 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Oh, YAFGC will stay as it is. I like the forum environment for it and I can see maybe someday adding comments to the news posts, but not to the comic. The comicsblog - wherever it moves to - should keep comments, because that's what the readers over there are used to.

I've been reading up on ID a bit and it seems to cause crashes in Firefox... I'll have to do a lot more research (and not during work hours!) before I make up my mind. Just knowing there are external plugin options opens new things up.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 4:55 pm 
Lich
Lich

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 12:06 am 
Lich
Lich

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 6:29 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Good lord - that sort of thing is possible? I figured it'd have to be a static link to the 'Storylines' forum. In any case with the book proofs circulating and this past weekend being Father's Day (and next weekend being our daughter's birthday) I've had zero time to put into this, so please do bear with me for another week or two while I get other things ticked off my 'to-do' list.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:40 pm 
Lich
Lich

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:26 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Profile WWW  

[ 14 posts ]