[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Rich Morris' Comics - YAFGC and The ComixBlog • View topic - I'm always amazed...

Rich Morris' Comics - YAFGC and The ComixBlog

Discussion forum for fans of YAFGC and Rich's ComixBlog. Because all the cool webcomics have one.

Jump to YAFGC / Jump to The ComixBlog

It is currently Wed May 27, 2020 10:22 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

[ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: I'm always amazed...
PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:09 am 
Costello
Costello

It blows my mind the way we talk about the characters in the strip. Considering the fact that none of them are real people, we can get remarkably deep into intricate psychoanalyses.

Profile WWW  

Post subject: Re: I'm always amazed...
PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 1:25 am 
Mr. Sunshine
Mr. Sunshine

I agree with you Lyger. It is just fun to do it. It is the same as when my parents watch any of their shows on T.V. and try to solve the mystery before the heroes do it. Here we have a usually peaceful crew that decide to communicate and commiserate a great recreational event, and do it like a group of RPers would but usually without the childish tantrums I used to find in the games others would have. Let me tell you there is nothing like listening to a couple of gamers bitch about the last game and all of the points they make remind you of middle school crap (yes I am one of those “lucky” people that others talk around because they don’t notice you nearby). It also is just a sign that this forum is a great place to hang and get to know other people from all over the world.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:52 pm 
Creator
Creator

Yeah, you guys make us proud! :)

Profile WWW YIM  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:57 pm 
Enforcer
Enforcer

Well they say that the sign of a good work of art is that you identify with the characters. I have noticed that from Hamlet to classic fairy tales, so it is only normal that we become entangled with their decisions.
Plus, they are multilayered enough to merit analysis. Sometimes you want to cheer for them or boo them, but i find it even more intriguing when they surprise you with their decsions.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:18 am 
Mr. Sunshine
Mr. Sunshine

I have found that a truly great story is one that can make you question, smile, cry, scream, raise your ire and cool you to peace. Those are the stories where the characters seem to be truly alive. The best way I have to put it comes from the fertile mind of the late Robert A Heinlein. In "The Cat Who Walks through Walls" he deals with the idea that even our dreams have a reality somewhere and if a character is 3 dimensional then they are not only alive, but will have a life of their own. They are alive because that is what they are to the reader. I believe that this is one of those strips. We the forum has proven this so many times. We will go to flame wars over them. I have to say that this is just proof that Rich is one of those artists with the amazing ability to give life to his creations. So thank you Papa Gepetto (sic), your little wooden boy is real now.

"God I am such a sap"

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 6:00 am 
Enforcer
Enforcer

We are :na:.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:22 pm 
Minotaur
Minotaur

heheh... i psycho-analyze my favorite characters all the time. From multiple fandoms.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:33 am 
Creator
Creator

Wow...thank you Maark30.
I think part of the secret is that I let the characters go in my mind. I don't really use my characters to tell a story so much as throw a situation at them and see what they do.

I usually don't know how it will end when I start them and, much like "The 10 Doctors", I improvise dialogue as I go. I write what I can hear the characters say in my head rather than force a script on them. It causes problems, naturally (like a lot of continuity strains, or seemingly important scenes get missed because the characters simply don't explore an avenue for me), but for the most part I feel it makes the "story" seem naturally organic and realistic. It's not so much a series of storylines as a world in which scenarios crop up once in a while. Lots continues to happen behind the scenes and we don't see it all. Which is why sometimes the characters seem to have all grown up when we weren't looking.

I'd like to say it's all in real time as well, but it's obviously not. Entire arcs can happen in a few hours and a single strip can cover weeks. Time seems to travel faster in some areas than others at different times, but generally I just want it to look and feel like it's continuously growing and being lived in.

Thanks for coming along for the ride however it makes you feel! :)

Profile WWW YIM  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:46 am 
Enforcer
Enforcer

Personally i prefer it that time does not hinder the development of the storyline. The character development is much more enticing than continuity.

[ 9 posts ]