[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Rich Morris' Comics - YAFGC and The ComixBlog • View topic - A Kobold Monk?

Rich Morris' Comics - YAFGC and The ComixBlog

Discussion forum for fans of YAFGC and Rich's ComixBlog. Because all the cool webcomics have one.

Jump to YAFGC / Jump to The ComixBlog

It is currently Wed May 27, 2020 9:52 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

[ 15 posts ] 
 Post subject: A Kobold Monk?
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:11 am 
Lich
Lich

I do believe that I have seen it all now...until such time as BK introduces a Yellow Mold Anti-Paladin.

Post subject: Re: A Kobold Monk?
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:26 am 
Lich
Lich

while definitely odd, i believe that the cake for strangeness in kobold form takes the magnificent paradox that is cap'n fang ..compared to Fang, even a tiefling beholder paladin of tyr sounds normal

Profile WWW ICQ YIM  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:41 pm 
Tantric Tom
Tantric Tom

Oh ho ho hoooo!
Everybody was kung fu fighting!
HAI YA!
Those cats were fast as lightning!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 2:40 pm 
Beholder
Beholder

Woo-hoo, Carl Douglas!

Profile YIM  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 3:55 pm 
Orc
Orc

I dunno- the eyes are sorta wrinkly, so maybe kobold- but I'm thinking Splinter!

Last edited by coronalwave on Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:56 pm 
Orc
Orc

It's furry with a fluffy tail, not something I'd label Kobold (Kobolds are reptilian, hairless). That said I have no clue what it is. I'm assuming it's something from one of the first 2 editions, and pretty much all my grimoire knowledge is from 3.5.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 6:51 am 
Orc
Orc

'Ko-Ma-Ni, Kobold master Monk', my mistake I guess he is (was) a Kobold.

Were Kobolds furry back in the earlier editions? They're portrayed as scaly, reptilian, and semi-draconic in the newer lore, but so much has been retconned that some monsters bare little resemblance to their earlier incarnations. The 4th edition Monster Manual has a pretty serious overhaul, but that's a topic for another thread and another day.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 7:09 am 
Creator
Creator

*Does some quick research*
No, you're right, Kobolds aren't supposed to have hair. My earliest impression of them came from my red-edition of the Basic Rules Dungeons & Dragons book from 1980 and they were drawn (and described) as hairless dog-men. The image does, however, show some kind of shaggy loin-cloth thing that, to my pre-teen mind, appeared like convenient fur growth, which may have lead to my impression that they had mixed wirey body hair (fur) and scaley skin. Which is what I automatically drew for YAFGC.
(Note the scales on his brow ridges and his snout)

Profile WWW YIM  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:28 am 
Lich
Lich

despite the indiana jones moment, i have a feeling the monk will be back... those kobolds are pretty sturdy (just look at Cap'n Fang)

as for what kobolds look like... yeah, its the whole reptilian thing (not that i am the expert here, NwN is pretty much my only visual source)

Profile WWW ICQ YIM  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:36 am 
Lich
Lich

If my AD&D memory serves, at a certain level monk can fall some distance without damage, as long as they're close enough to a vertical surface. He's a master...he'll be back.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:07 pm 
Kobold
Kobold

Fortunately Monks have safe fall, he's fine.

He'll be back.. to kung fu fight and get pushed over at some other silly time.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:43 pm 
Enforcer
Enforcer

Captain Fang will eat him.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 4:26 pm 
Beholder
Beholder

I think his name is funny...Does he have a brother named Io'Toh'Lah?

Profile YIM  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 7:05 pm 
Techgnome
Techgnome

Depends on how he lands. If he falls and breaks into three smaller versions of himself, he may have to reconsider his carreer path and take up singing instead. Chipped Monks, anyone? ;)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 2:28 pm 
Enforcer
Enforcer

A monk turned bard would be true character development...

[ 15 posts ]