[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Rich Morris' Comics - YAFGC and The ComixBlog • View topic - 2833 More Godly Goodness

Rich Morris' Comics - YAFGC and The ComixBlog

Discussion forum for fans of YAFGC and Rich's ComixBlog. Because all the cool webcomics have one.

Jump to YAFGC / Jump to The ComixBlog

It is currently Tue Aug 03, 2021 9:15 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

[ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: 2833 More Godly Goodness
PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 10:31 am 
Creator
Creator

Profile WWW YIM  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 12:23 pm 
Demigod
Demigod

One of the best definitions of Evil I ever read is, roughly: "the exploitation, harming and destruction of other creatures not out of demonstrable Need, but merely for Want."

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 1:07 pm 
Enforcer
Enforcer

Nice one. On the other hand, I doubt there is such a thing. Usually what we call evil is ignorance, selfishness and fear taken to the extreme.
In a D&D universe sure, lines are easier to draw in the sand but in real life, I feel that much would be solved with free access to psychotherapy and the mitigation of poverty. People whose emotional and material needs are taken care of are more lilkely to NOT want to take a bite out of your face. And the earth would probably keep on spinning. Who NEEDS "evil" anyway? Isn't the harshness of nature antagonism enough?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 2:10 pm 
Demigod
Demigod

Nature is equal-opportunity nasty. It doesn't care who lives or dies.
Evil picks and chooses. It wants to give you personal attention and for you to feel Special...

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 2:09 am 
Lich
Lich

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 8:01 pm 
Creator
Creator

Profile WWW YIM  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 3:50 am 
Lich
Lich

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 10:43 am 
Creator
Creator

Profile WWW YIM  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 11:05 am 
Creator
Creator

When my kids ask: "What does a goblin look like?" I have to tell them that they can look like anything since different people have different ideas of what they are. And since there are no goblins that they can catch and study, then there is no helpful definitive answer I can give them except what MY goblins look like.

Well good and evil are the same. You can't measure or touch or eat evil. They're concepts created by human beings and don't exist except in our minds and cultures.
We all have our own ideas and opinions on what is good or evil and none of us can claim to have the definitive answer.

Not even douchebag YouTube ranters.

Profile WWW YIM  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 3:15 pm 
Demigod
Demigod

Oh, they can make the claim.

Anybody can make the claim.

They just can't do it without making me switch off youtube and lower my face into my hands.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 11:22 pm 
Creator
Creator

(With apologies to Phaing, I accidentally deleted his last post in my tired, agitated state. It was lengthy and well written, with further references to the YouTube channel he previously linked to. There was also a reference to his being saddened by my 'infestation' strip at the same time as the terrorist attacks on Paris. I had intended to quote it, but accidentally hit 'edit post' instead and had saved it before I realized what I had done. It was not an intention to silence you, I don't work that way. That being said, this discussion is getting on my nerves and I'd like for it to stop. There are other threads and forums to take your opnion on the state of the world to.)

I'm not going to argue about whether terrorism is or isn't evil. Any conviction I have about it would my personal opinion.

My point is that evil is defined differently by different people. ISIS doesn't think they're evil. Fundamentalist Christians don't think they're evil. John Wayne Gacy didn't think he was evil.

These are extreme examples. What about university students who cheat on exams? Kids who climb onto kitchen counters to steal cookies when they know they're not supposed to? School yard bullies? Cats who look you in the eyes while they piss on your couch?

How about American gun laws?

THESE QUESTIONS ARE RHETORICAL. I neither expect, nor desire an answer to any of them.

I'm not bringing jihadists and terrorism in Paris into a discussion about Goblins and Elves in an online comic strip. YAFGC isn't about what's going on in the world today except on very rare occasions when I will do a strip to pat someone on the back or mark an occasion (happy or sad) when or if I have the time or inclination. Its purpose is to give me an outlet to draw some fun characters in silly or dramatic situations and to maybe have the odd commentary on the human condition or poke fun at a storytelling trope.

If this discussion carries on much longer I'm going to shut the thread down.

Profile WWW YIM  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 1:20 am 
Lich
Lich

[ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2