[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Rich Morris' Comics - YAFGC and The ComixBlog • View topic - The Tenth Doctor's age **Spoilers**

Rich Morris' Comics - YAFGC and The ComixBlog

Discussion forum for fans of YAFGC and Rich's ComixBlog. Because all the cool webcomics have one.

Jump to YAFGC / Jump to The ComixBlog

It is currently Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:04 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

[ 14 posts ] 
 Post subject: The Tenth Doctor's age **Spoilers**
PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:01 pm 
Goblin
Goblin

I noticed that in The End of Time, 10 mentions to Wilf that he is 909 (I think, maybe he said 908, I really need to see it again). Now, does this mean, since 9 was 900, that 10's incarnation lived only 8 (or 7) years?

Curious what you guys think. Was he lying about his age again?

Post subject: Re: The Tenth Doctor's age **Spoilers**
PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:06 pm 
Dragon
Dragon

I remember him saying 906. I think he's full of it. :wink: Nine said he was 900, but I don't think that's accurate, and I think Ten was around a lot longer than we saw, too.

Guess we'll never know, though, will we?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:19 pm 
Orc
Orc

Not sure what episode it was of the classic serial but I thought the Doctor had mentioned his age and it was 950+ years. Until I see the episode again I can't verify this though.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:39 pm 
Dragon
Dragon

I'm pretty sure Three said something about thousands of years. The fact that Nine and Ten have listed their ages inconsistently with the classic series has been discussed before... This may be one of those "canon isn't even canon" things. :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:30 pm 
Goblin
Goblin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:38 pm 
Dragon
Dragon

LOL! Here's hoping! *raises glass*

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:18 am 
Puce Guardian
Puce Guardian

Sylvester's first ep, he mentions he and the Rani are both 956. Since then, as Chris and David, he has lied ferociously about his age, claiming to be 900- and then several years later in Voyage of the Damned, '903' in a big speech - when the absolute minimum his character could be at that, if he really was 900 in Aliens of London, was 904, but that would be really pushing it :smart: .

Fans guess him to be 1200-1300, but really he could be much older. He does love to lie and steal, for such a nice guy <g>

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:23 pm 
Demigod
Demigod

How long is each separate incarnation capable of living? Maybe each one's stated only their 'own' age? *shrug*

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:50 pm 
Orc
Orc

Plus, are we talking Earth years or Gailfreian years?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:24 pm 
Puce Guardian
Puce Guardian

Each Doctor has always given a higher age than the last time the age was stated, till Christopher mentioned to Rose that he'd been traveling 900 yrs without getting slapped by someone's mother, and she said 900 was a hell of an age difference. Suddenly he began referring to his age as 900 - which makes all the fans jump to the conclusion that as well as being war damaged, he was anxious to avoid appearing over a thousand years, and thus put more of a damper on Rose's potential interest <g> or sometimes we put it to a second midlife crisis, stuck on "39 and holding". David has used the 900+ numbers quite often in his early days as well as up to the end, so we can see it's meant as an overall age figure, not a single incarnation figure ... but he has whittled the figure down even as we watched - he had appromiately 4-6yrs adventure between 900 and declaring himself 903, for example <g> and doesn't seem to be able to help himself - even when talking to Wilf!

As for how long each incarnation appears, it seems a few hundred is a likely span - he was 300 or so when his first body wore out, and he'd been in his 7th Sylvester form for a few centures as they went to the trouble of showing off his gray temples in the movie. The Doctor once said something about how timelords dont age, they regenerate ... but I think they do age, just very very slowly, a century equalling a year perhaps, and someone in the Doctor's lifestyle will end up regenerating before it could normally be noticed.
Donna commented on the Doctor looking older, I believe .. but I think she meant more of his expression .. tho perhaps the writers were alluding to his time with the Master left him slightly older in form when he was restored, as well as the wear and tear on his emotional self. But as neither of those really have much to do with his age, ... nevermind. :smart:

And .... it always seemed to me it was meant to be Earth years. Right along with the fact that they were always speaking English, the figures seemed to translate to the viewers in the same way, Earth years unless otherwise stated. The way the age kept moving up no matter who he gave his age to, seemed to make it all make sense.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:40 am 
Kobold
Kobold

The Doctor has been lying about his age since at least #4, the Tom Baker years. He stated to Romana that he was, 746, don't quote me I could be mistaken, but she called him on it only to say his real age at the time. I forget how old she said he was at the time, but it was at least a few years older.

I think possibly starting with #9 or maybe it even started with #8, in an unshown adventure, that he was counting his age starting from the time when the Tardis first assumed its Police Box shape. Which has been 906 years in the Doctor's personal time line. The Doctor was probably a few centuries old when he stole the Tardis.

One more thing. Did anyone else notice that in the Waters of Mars that it looked like the Doctor peed his environmental suit when that one infected person was pounding on that door, after the Doctor returned to help?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:01 am 
Puce Guardian
Puce Guardian

Ah - no to the Waters of Mars bit :o , but yes he did shave a few yrs off his age when trying to impress the pretty young graduate with his age and worldly experience. One got the impression he wasn't quite willing to admit to being 759 and clung to 756. Also he was just looking for anything he could say she was wrong about. She thought it was a sign of the feeble mindedness one must expect after a few centures <g> the cheek of teenager showing on her ?150yr old self.

Of course he was in a rather impressive sulk at the time :mrgreen:

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:57 am 
Kobold
Kobold

M'reen,

He got the I peed myself look on his face right after he said, "I was told that I wouldn't die until he knocked four times, and I don't hear anyone knocking." Right before "BOOM, BOOM, BOOM" very loud knocking.

I might be misremembering the exact wording of the quote. So don't hold it against me if I have it slightly wrong. :P

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:38 pm 
Kobold
Kobold

There's one big problem wit the doctor's age. That problem is in Revelation of the Daleks the Sixth Doctor was 900 years old, and in Time and the Rani, the Seventh Doctor's age was stated to be 953 years old as well as the Eighth Doctor declared his age to be 1,012 in Vampire Science. Hum plus are these Galifrai years or Earth years. So a wide discrepancies in the show. But like the other topic in the forum on canon shows, the tv show doesn't really care about canon in the show.

[ 14 posts ]