[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Rich Morris' Comics - YAFGC and The ComixBlog • View topic - Unified Geek Theory

Rich Morris' Comics - YAFGC and The ComixBlog

Discussion forum for fans of YAFGC and Rich's ComixBlog. Because all the cool webcomics have one.

Jump to YAFGC / Jump to The ComixBlog

It is currently Sun Oct 24, 2021 12:10 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

[ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Unified Geek Theory
PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 5:13 pm 
Kobold
Kobold

On hearing how Rich had a go at combining all the fannish 'verses into one cohesive (if wobbly) whole, I've been curious as to what he came up with. However, I'm not going to ask that he come out and tell us because he's going to show us through his comics.

But I don't see any reason why the rest of us can't kick the can around for a bit :wink:

Our good Doctor will be a terrific unifying thread through it all, clearly. But resorting to alternate universes should be avoided, as that's the easy way out. For just one easy and obvious example, if the moon got knocked out of earth orbit on 1999 September 13, then what's that in the 24th century sky over Starfleet Academy?

There's also the question of how far back does one want to go with the source material. Alan Moore and Kevin O'Neill spring to mind for blending older vintages with the newer stuff.

So. How to tackle all this?

Post subject: Re: Unified Geek Theory
PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:27 pm 
Creator
Creator

While I love the idea of letting my Unified Universe theories be told strictly in the comic, I would also like to participate in this conversation, since it could take years and years for my to make my points. So please don't be offended if I let you in on some of my ideas here.

When I ran a Space:1999 campaign that blended into a Star Trek campaign some 10 years ago, I explained that after the Moon had blown out of orbit there was a lengthy time of chaos, but Humanity survived (as evidenced in the Space:1999 episode "Journey to Where?" where they manage to contact the domed cities of Earth). One of the first things they did to help settle their environment was to construct an artificial Moon, an object that would take it's orbit and manage the tides and gravitic effects on the Earth. I didn't go into any detail as to HOW this was managed, but suffice to say that by the time we see StarFleet Academy in the StarTrek series, they've fixed it up so that it works real well and projected a massive holographic image of the old Moon on it for esthetics. It was probably necessary to create a new calendar to take account of any slight differences before they were able to really control it fully. Certainly the Andorians with their weather controling machines would have helped out in later Federation years.

But that was just for that campaign. I don't know if I'd use that story in any comic combination of Star Trek/Space:1999 I may do.

Profile WWW YIM  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 8:40 am 
Minotaur
Minotaur

Location: The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
Remarkably I was reading about unified universes the day before I heard Rich's interview. Turns out there's a big website about them over at this site: http://www.poobala.com/crossoverlist.html

This posits that there are 38 distinct continuities in television mediums, and has only recently become to accomodate cartoons.

My favourite unified universe (if you can have one...?) is the Tommy Westphall Hypothesis, which supposes that a massive multiversal web all exists in the mind of a secondary character from St Elsewhere. The finale of the show revealed that all prior seasons happened in an autistic child's imagination, but since the show had already crossed over multiple times with other shows it also supposes these also exist inside his head. These shows link with other shows, and hence you get a rather massive web that links things like Doctor Who, Star Trek and The X Files with The Monkees, The Drew Carey Show and The Flying Nun.

The website is here (http://home.vicnet.net.au/~kwgow/crossovers.html) and the web here ( http://home.vicnet.net.au/~kwgow/crossovers(full).jpg ). My favourite is the improbable direct link between Lost and the original UK version of The Office.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 9:12 am 
Orc
Orc

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:21 pm 
Kobold
Kobold

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:15 am 
Puce Guardian
Puce Guardian

They might have discovered the ancient tech from a long time ago in galaxy far, far away, how to build a base that big. Something to replace, say, a missing moon. Instead of wasting energy on a planet destroyer, they focused on making it even bigger colony world, with layers of protective asteroid covering ....

I mean, the planet Pluto is no more. Reclassified and forgotten by a few squabbling members of a poorly attended astronomy society? Or borrowed for raw material to create a new moon for the future?

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:59 pm 
Dragon
Dragon

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 3:58 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

(Dude. If you do nothing else, familiarize yourself with Space: 1999. It's a goofball 1970s show, but has some awesome moments and characters... and it's Rich's absolute favourite sci-fi show after Doctor Who.

I'm not saying anything. I'm just saying.

y'know?)

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 4:04 pm 
Minotaur
Minotaur

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 5:25 pm 
Orc
Orc

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 5:37 pm 
Dragon
Dragon

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 8:27 am 
Orc
Orc

I've seen a _bit_ of Space: 1999. I'd be willing to see more. As a side-bonus, I have this neat CD I got long ago called "Sci-Fi's Greatest Hits" and Space: 1999 appears to have a _bitchin'_ theme song. :P

(And hey, obviously I must be down with '70s cheese, if I actually watched the original Battlestar Galactica... Which my dad worked on the set of, actually! Woot.)

Although I don't know enough about Space: 1999 to figure out how to work the missing moon theory into other things. Like, for example, Cowboy Bebop. In that one, the moon got blown up, huge chunks of it WHAMMED into the Earth and devastated the surface, and Faye Valentine wakes up out of suspended animation (after an amount of time suspiciously the exact same as Ripley's from the "Alien" movies) to find her childhood home is now basically a pit.

Anyway: another missing-moon universe, is what I'm saying. Oh! And they have JUMPGATES! :) Not _called_ that, but...TOTALLY B5 style jumpgates. Totally.

...Notorious

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 4:58 am 
Beholder
Beholder

I rather liked Space: 1999. Not a big fan of season 2. But I like both seasons, anyway.

Loved the Eagles. The Eagle Transporter was the kewlest, and most realistic sci-fi ship ever.

And I really liked the character of Maya. What is it about really smart alien women that turn me to mush?

And I think the theme tune has to be my second favorite, right after the Doctor Who theme. If you can find the extened version (over 3 minutes), it's worth a listen.

Profile YIM  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:02 am 
Creator
Creator

Profile WWW YIM  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 5:08 pm 
Orc
Orc

Well, I _know_ the one I've heard, anyway, was the first season's, from your description there. The second I heard it I cracked UP at the disconess. Get down and shake your space grooooove thang! :P

...however, I _like_ disco, sometimes...

I think I have "met" Maya, in one of the few episodes I've seen. She's like, the shapeshifting alien warrior princess thinger, right? Yeah. She seemed cool.

...Notorious

[ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next