[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Rich Morris' Comics - YAFGC and The ComixBlog • View topic - Judging a game by it's cover...

Rich Morris' Comics - YAFGC and The ComixBlog

Discussion forum for fans of YAFGC and Rich's ComixBlog. Because all the cool webcomics have one.

Jump to YAFGC / Jump to The ComixBlog

It is currently Wed May 27, 2020 10:38 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

[ 12 posts ] 
 Post subject: Judging a game by it's cover...
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:35 pm 
Costello
Costello

As soon as I saw this, I had to pick it up...

Our Hero, with falchion and shield in hand, is taking it to some monsters. A Goblin has dropped its dagger and is clutching at its wounded arm, running through its fingers. Behind it, another Goblin attempts to threaten the Hero, brandishing a dagger and the broken-off head of glaive. Immediately overhead, a Dragon soars, wings outstretched. Off to the side, the Sheildmaiden, in Farah Fawcett hair and a mail tank top, prepares to hurl a spear, using large rocks by the riverbank for cover. In the background, a dark cave yawns in face of a rock outcrop. The Hero has already brought down one foe, a Hobgoblin - the creature's sword and helmet lie on the ground nearby. The Hero treads upon the fallen monster as he squares off against his primary opponent.

A giant hedgehog.

Eight feet of roly-poly hostility and rage, complete with spines, bad attitude and a double-bladed greatax.

I can't look at the cover any more without chuckling. The War Hedgehog isn't quite as silly as it seems, though, being rescued mainly by virtue of the fact that the illustrations actually manage to give them a certain aura of menace.

Okay - your turn. What game had you the moment you looked at the cover art? Perhaps it didn't turn out to be all that great a game when you tried to play it, but the cover still gets you to crack a smile.

Profile WWW  

Post subject: Re: Judging a game by it's cover...
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:30 pm 
Minotaur
Minotaur

First - what game are you writing about?

In answer to your question - I was always drawn by games and supplements with covers by Dave Deitrick (I think that's the spelling), and the one I remember first is “Year of the Phoenix” and the cover showed a space shuttle apparently crashing through a red star in the distance. In the foreground were a couple of heavily armed people in American Indian war paint sporting the remnants of uniforms.

This was basically Buck Rogers but with present day astronauts an the villains being the Zoviets. It was cool in that the players started out in 1999 (even having a separate rulebook that only dealt with that) and ended up 300 years later in a Zoviet-ruled Earth.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:04 pm 
Costello
Costello

It's a British title - DragonRoar. It came out the year before Year of the Phoenix.

And I also loved Dave Deitrick's artwork, especially his Traveller stuff. I've never gotten around to playing Year of the Phoenix. But we did get our Cold Warrioring on with West End's The Price of Freedom, which was basically , the RPG. The GM was something of a Russia scholar (unusual in that a) we were in high school {well, he was, I'd graduated that spring}, and b) that high school was a military academy in suburban Chicago), so he was really able to create interesting Russian characters. He also understood enough about Communism to create a setting that made sense. (Last I'd heard of him, he was in DC, working for the State Department, natch.)

As an aside, games always work better when the GM understands the culture the game is set in. The first time I played Oriental Adventures in college, the DM was a Japanese major, and that made for an excellent game.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:32 pm 
Minotaur
Minotaur

I've never heard of DragonRoar. I do remembered The Price of Freedom though I never played the game myself. Year of the Phoenix was a neat setting though the combat system was a little complicated. We had a good time playing it so I could review it for KoDT though. They didn't figure out until the very end of the game that night WHEN they were. One guy had some kind of time-travel mutation (he could slow down or speed up time or something) and he wondered if it had been his fault somehow. His character also had a girlfriend and he went through the whole "Everyone I know is dead!" thing.

They never released any more supplements for the game, which I think was a shame. It had a great concept.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:02 pm 
Costello
Costello

Well, I found my copy of DragonRoar at a local store that rarely marked things down (except now that they're having a "lost our lease" sale). This meant that older items weren't pushed out on clearance, so you could find new old stock of things that had been out of print for literally twenty years or more. So it was a great place to pick up stuff from the eighties and nineties that weren't big hits. DragonRoar was something that I hadn't seen (and that people didn't seem to be aware of) even when I was searching through game stores in London while in the UK on vacation, so I suspect that if I hadn't stumbled across it there, I never would have found it.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:25 pm 
Minotaur
Minotaur

There was a place in Greensboro, NC, called Cosmic Castle. The owner used to buy used product from people for 1/4 the list price and sell it for 1/2 price. I got a lot of great stuff there, slightly worn but in great shape.

Old stuff can still be found at The Hobbit Hobbies in Fayetteville, NC. It's the best game store I've ever been to.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:20 pm 
Costello
Costello

I'm actually fairly amazed by how easy it can be to track stuff down around here. There are several Half-Price Books outlets in the area, and occasionally, you find a real steal (well, for us collectors, anyway). I stumbled across a copy of the old Mega fantasy system out of Europe for 8 bucks one day, and a copy of SPI's sci-fi game Universe for 10. There are also a couple of local game stores that do a brisk business in used games of all sorts.

I even found a copy of DragonRaid, sans dice, once. (Not that I care...) DragonRaid isn't so much a role-playing game as a teaching tool - it was designed to co-opt fantasy role-playing to teach Scriptures, so the "magic" system (if you want to call it that) revolves around reciting passages from the Bible from memory. It's a train wreck and a half, but so much fun to read.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:53 pm 
Minotaur
Minotaur

Back on topic of books and covers, I got a copy of Bureau 13 last summer because it has a sweet Foglio cover. However, though the premise is great, I found that the book's layout was terrible and the combat system was hard to swallow (LOTS of die rolling). The index was useless and overall, it's a train wreck of a game. We had a good time playing it, but overall - not worth the price.

Shame.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 1:44 pm 
Costello
Costello

I hadn't seen the Foglio cover. I wonder if it's one of the covers he did for the Bureau 13 novels.

All of the Tri-Tac games (Fringeworthy, FTL 2442, et cetera) have the issues that you describe. Great ideas, but the mechanics couldn't carry them off. But they're also from kind of an early time in the hobby, when the kinks were being worked out.

I played a game of B13 back in the 90's, and it was loads of fun, but the GM also chucked large parts of the system and house ruled things on the fly. My character was a police S.W.A.T. team member who encountered a demon in a crack house, and after getting its blood all over him (shotguns at point-blank tend to do that), wound up with basically Second Sight. Although you think he'd have wound up the group's Tank, instead he became the Face, and was the guy who's job it was to maintain the cover-up of paranormal activity, explaining why, despite the fact that people swore there were ghosts and goblins, absolutely everything had a reasonable and perfectly mundane explanation.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:07 pm 
Minotaur
Minotaur

Yeah - B13 is a great, great concept and lots of fun for role play. I, personally, like a simple combat system, though I also like lots of potential details, which B13 provided. But it was just too much. One thing I loved was the hit charts - though only the part that said where you were hit; the rest was crazy complicated. The first shot I took with the NPC biker gave me an abdomen hit that, further on another chart, allowed me to roll "Genitals, R."

:shock:

You can't really shoot a pc in the junk as a GM unless you've got a chart to back it up.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:08 am 
Costello
Costello

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:36 pm 
Minotaur
Minotaur

You're right Lyger. Got to look into that.

[ 12 posts ]